In lieu of a office visits during the Coronavirus outbreak, Richmond Eye Associates is now offering telemedicine appointments for all current patients via video chat (such as FaceTime or Skype) or by telephone. While this appointment will not serve to replace a complete, in-person eye exam, your doctor will be able to provide medical advice for concerns related to your eye health and treatment.
Please call our office at (804) 270-0330 to schedule your telemedicine appointment.
As always, call our office immediately if you are experiencing an urgent eye problem. We appreciate your understanding during this challenging time. (Please note that telemedicine appointments will be billed to your health insurance).
FaceTime is usually pre-downloaded on Apple devices such as I-phones and I-pads. You can safely use FaceTime for a video telemedicine appointment with your doctor. To use FaceTime, it first needs to be activated on your device and you may need your Apple ID to do this. You will also need an internet connection, either cellular or WiFi. General information on using FaceTime can be found HERE.
Once you are ready, you will receive a call from your doctor and your eye problem can be discussed.
Skype can be safely downloaded to Windows, Apple, and Android devices for video telemedicine appointments with your doctor.
Depending on which device you plan to use, you'll download a specific version of Skype. To download for your computer, click one of the following links:
Of course, you will also need an internet connection, either cellular or WiFi.
Once you are ready, you will receive an invitation to connect with your doctor and your eye problem can be discussed.
Tips for a Successful Telemedicine Appointment
- Telemedicine appointments are conducted by videochat (FaceTime or Skype) or by phone with current patients.
- Your Doctor will contact you at your appointment time. You do not need to call the office to connect to your virtual appointment.
- Be ready for your appointment on time. Be available at the number you provided to the office.
- For a videochat appointment you will need a smartphone (iPhone or Android), tablet/iPad or computer with a web camera and an internet connection. If possible, the lighting in the room should be in front of you so that there are no shadows which might make it difficult for your Doctor to see you. Your shades might need to be lowered to decrease bright light. Your Doctor will contact you.
- For a telephone appointment, you will need a cellphone or land line phone to connect to your Doctor. Your Doctor will contact you.
- Make a list of any questions or concerns you have for your Doctor.
- Have your Pharmacy name and phone number readily available during your visit.
- Sit in an environment free from noise and distractions during your appointment.
- If you are in a vehicle, stay parked for the duration of the visit. This is both for your safety and to protect the video or phone quality in order to allow the Doctor to best help you.
- If you have any technical issues during the appointment, or become disconnected, wait for the Doctor to contact you back. If you do not connect with the Doctor after a short period of time (5-10 minutes), please call the office at (804) 270-0330 to reschedule the appointment. Sometimes, technical difficulties are unavoidable. We will do our best to work through them.