About Richmond Eye Associates
Richmond Eye Associates is a seven doctor group of ophthalmologists and optometrists who specialize primarily in anterior segment eye disorders. We have office locations throughout the metropolitan Richmond, Virginia area, including:
- Innsbrook - The Far West End
- Southside - Koger Center South
- Mechanicsville - Mechanicsville Medical Center
The general ophthalmologists of Richmond Eye Associates perform routine eye examinations, fit contact lenses, and treat medical eye conditions. Surgically, they specialize in cataract/implant surgery.
Dr. Malcolm Magovern is a fellowship trained Cornea and External Disease Specialist who performs corneal transplants, limbal stem cell grafts, and cataract/implant surgery, as well as providing routine medical eye care.
Dr. Harold Bernstein is a fellowship trained glaucoma specialist. He performs traditional glaucoma filtering procedures, as well as shunt procedures. Additionally, he specializes in cataract/implant surgery and the medical and surgical treatment of anterior segment disease.
Dr. Lumpkin and Dr. Koza, optometrists with Richmond Eye Associates, specialize in the fitting of contact lenses.
All of our offices have adjacent optical shops, and all of our offices have multiple lanes of equipment and utilize technical personnel.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Richmond Eye Associates provides equal employment opportunity for everyone regardless of age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, political belief, or disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions. In addition, laws regarding veterans' status are observed. This is reflected in all or Richmond Eye Associates' practices and policies regarding hiring, training, promotions, transfers, rates of pay, layoff and other forms of compensation. All matters relating to employment are based upon ability to perform the job, as well as dependability and reliability once hired.
Richmond Eye Associates is a busy ophthalmic practice medically, surgically, and in providing routine eye care for glasses and contact lenses. Every employee at Richmond Eye plays a key role in our success in delivering the highest possible quality of care for our patients. Due to our multiple office locations, we frequently have positions available for front desk receptionist personnel, clerical workers, and ophthalmic technicians. We also occasionally have positions available in the business office and optical shops.
Candidates for all positions should:
- Be able to work in a team environment with the physicians and other staff members.
- Be able to maintain a high level of respect and courtesy for our patients.
- Be able to maintain a positive attitude and seek opportunities to develop personal goals.
- Be willing to undergo training and accept positive criticism.
- Be willing to travel to different office locations if necessary, and be willing assist in other office tasks if necessary.
Richmond Eye Associates offers an excellent package of benefits for its full time employees, as well as competitive salaries.
» Ophthalmic Technician «
The physicians of Richmond Eye Associates use technicians at all of their locations to provide the highest quality eye care for our patients. The technical staff of Richmond Eye Associates is encouraged to attend regional conferences and meetings, and this is financially supported by the practice. Technicians are encouraged to advance their training through the different levels of certified assistant, technician, and technologist.
Technicians will have the opportunity to work not only with patients having medical eye conditions such as cataract, advanced glaucoma, and corneal disorders, but they will also help to screen refractive surgery and Lasik candidates.
Even if you have no prior ophthalmic experience, you are encouraged to apply if you are interested in working closely with patients and physicians in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment. Prior medical experience is a plus.
» Front Desk Patient Receptionist «
Front desk personnel are highly valued at Richmond Eye Associates as they often provide the first opportunity to welcome patients to our practice. While making patients feel at home, front desk personnel are responsible for carrying out efficient office procedures such as accurate registration, making telephone appointments, and performing check-out duties. While prior medical and ophthalmic experience is a plus, self-motivation, organization, and courtesy are important attributes for those applying for this position.
Just as we believe that our patients deserve the best, so we believe about our employees. This is why Richmond Eye Associates provides an outstanding benefit package that not only rewards individual merit, but also longevity within the organization.
The Benefits Package is generally offered to Full Time (FT) Employees. FT Employees are employed on a continuous year-round basis and are regularly scheduled to work during the office's standard work week, generally 32 hours or more per week.
Limited benefits are offered to Part Time (PT) Employees, who are employed on a continuous year-round basis and are scheduled to work less than the office's standard work week, or less than 32 hours per week.
The employment Introductory Period is the first 90 days of employment at Richmond Eye Associates.
- Medical and Prescription Coverage begins at the completion of the introductory period for FT employees.
- Employer Funded Retirement Plan and 401K with Matching Contribution for FT and PT employees.
- Paid Vacation Time of up to 2 weeks available within the first year for FT employees.
- A competitive salary with paid vacation time, personal days off, and holidays for FT employees.
- Weekends and Evenings Off
- Vision Coverage for FT and PT employees and their immediate families.
- Continuing Education Benefits with opportunities for job advancement offered by the practice.
- Associate Eyewear Discounts for glasses and contact lenses.
- Uniform Allowance for technical and front desk staff given annually.
- Direct Deposit
- Bereavement Policy is provided to FT and PT employees.
- Unpaid Leave of Absence available for long-term absences.
(Please note that the information on this page is not intended to be a legal document, and if there is any difference between this summary and the information provided in the Richmond Eye Associates Employee Handbook, the Employee Handbook will prevail.)
Medical and Prescription Drug Benefit
Eligibility for medical coverage begins at the beginning of the first month after the completion of the introductory period for Full Time employees. Medical coverage for the employee is provided by Richmond Eye Associates without any payroll deduction or other payment by the employee. If the employee chooses (during the enrollment period), he may elect to have other immediate family members included at group rates. This does involve a payroll deduction for the cost of covering the family members.
Features of the Medical and Prescription Drug Benefit:
- Current medical coverage is with Anthem, which has an extensive selection of primary care physicians, specialists, pediatricians, and Ob/Gyn's. No referral is required from a primary care physician with Anthem to see a specialist.
- Please Note: This health benefit coverage information is subject to change, and is not a complete description of the plan, its exclusions, and its requirements for employee eligibility and authorization of covered services. The health insurance company itself is also subject to be changed.
Retirement Plan - 100% Employer Funded New Comparability Plan with 401(k) Feature
Subject to plan qualifications, Full Time and Part Time employees who are at least 21 years of age are eligible for participation in this plan after completing one full year of employment (a 12 month period of 1000 hours worked) with Richmond Eye Associates. Features of this plan include:
- Richmond Eye Associates will contribute a percentage of the eligible employee's compensation annually into a managed trust fund.
- This plan is funded 100% by Richmond Eye Associates for the employee. No contributions or matching contributions are required to be made by the employee.
- In addition, there is a 401(k) option, where the employee may contribute pre-tax compensation into the plan. Richmond Eye Associates provides a 100% match for up to 5.5% of the employee's annual compensation.
- The 401(k) plan allows the employee to choose from a variety of mutual funds to invest in.
- Five year vesting period (for money contributed by Richmond Eye Associates).
- The retirement funds are professionally managed.
- (Note: This summary is not intended to be a complete description of the plan, and thus the Retirement Plan Summary should be referred to for an official description of the plan.)
Paid Vacation Time
After the introductory period of 90 days, Full Time employees are eligible for 10 days of vacation time per year. Vacation time is accrued on a monthly basis from the date of hire. Long term employees are eligible for 15 days of paid vacation time per year when employed with Richmond Eye Associates for over 5 years, and for 20 days per year when employed for over 10 years. One week of vacation time can be carried over to subsequent calendar years. The rate of accruing vacation time is prorated downward for employees working less than a 40 hour workweek.
Competitive Salaries including Paid Holidays, Personal Days, and Vacation Time
Richmond Eye Associates pays competitive salaries for different positions based on the job description, experience required, and level of supervision. While the salary itself is important, prospective employees should appreciate the value of the 100% employer funded New Comparability Plan and 401(k) Match.
Full Time employees receive pay for recognized holidays during the year. Depending on the calendar, the office is usually closed for 8 holidays during the year for which eligible employees are paid.
After 3 months of employment, employees may accumulate and use paid personal days (or hours) off (sick leave, emergencies, physician appointments, etc.) Personal Days Off are accumulated by Full Time Employees at the rate of 4 hours for each completed month of work. Personal Days accrued may be carried over to subsequent calendar years. The rate of accruing Personal Days Off is prorated downward for employees working less than a 40 hour workweek.
The physicians of Richmond Eye Associates extend professional courtesy consideration to Full Time and Part Time employees AND their immediate families. This includes routine eye health examinations, refractions, and fitting for glasses and contact lenses.
Associate Eyewear Discounts
Richmond Eye Associates has 3 optical shop locations (Richmond Eye Optical), including shops at the Innsbrook office, Southside office, and the Mechanicsville office. Full Time and Part Time employees AND their immediate families benefit from substantial discounts on eyewear dispensed at these locations, as well the professional fitting abilities of the opticians of Richmond Eye Associates. Employees and their immediate families are also given a discount on contact lenses purchased through Richmond Eye Associates.
Paid Continuing Education
Richmond Eye Associates provides educational opportunities for Full Time and Part Time employees both by the physicians and management of REA, as well as through local and regional conferences and seminars.
- Ophthalmic technical assistants are expected to engage in continuing medical educational activities, and are encouraged to progress through the different levels of certification.
- Clerical, receptionist, secretarial, and business office staff are given opportunities for continuing education.
- Regularly scheduled office-wide staff meetings provide educational opportunities for all staff members.
Unpaid Leave of Absence
Occasionally, for medical, personal, or other reasons, an employee may wish to be temporarily released from the duties of their job with Richmond Eye Associates but not submit their resignation. Under approved circumstances, the employee may be eligible for an unpaid leave of absence granted for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of six months. This flexibility is significant, since the employee would not lose the time of service benefits that he had accrued prior to taking the leave of absence (such as rate of vacation time accrual, vesting in the retirement plan, etc.)
Richmond Eye Associates offers a yearly allowance for staff uniforms. These are typically worn by technical staff and front desk receptionist staff.
Richmond Eye Associates offers direct deposit of employee's twice a month paychecks into the bank of their choice.
Weekends and Evenings Off
The operational hours of all of the Richmond Eye Associates offices are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. On occasion, an office might be open in the evening or weekend for a special event or seminar. Also, physicians and staff of Richmond Eye Associates occasionally participate in health fairs or screenings (on a volunteer basis).
Richmond Eye Associates allows a maximum of 3 paid days for death in the immediate family. This includes spouse, child, parents, or spouse's parents.
Submit Your Resume
To submit your resume online as an application for employment, complete the fields in the form below. Fields marked with an asterisk are required for application. Your resume can be pasted into the appropriate box below as a .txt or Microsoft Word file. When finished, click the Submit button. If a current employee of Richmond Eye Associates has referred you, please let us know in the employee referral box.
If your qualifications match those we are seeking, we will contact you to arrange an interview or other steps. Otherwise, we will retain your resume in our files for 6 months and you will be considered for positions that may open in the future.
Alternatively, you can email your resume Directly to Richmond Eye Associates Here. Your resume can also be faxed to 804-270-1003.